Health and Safety
Below are the measures we are doing to keep our volunteers safe and healthy during the Six Day Project:
- Volunteers will be distanced at least 10 feet at all times.
- All tools will be pre-sanitized before use.
- Volunteers will drive their own vehicles to the project site.
- Each volunteer team will work on one block, and one block only. Blocks will be limited to 10-30 individuals per block, to keep volunteers spread apart.
- No tool swapping/sharing will take place. Whichever tool you use that day (lawn mower, weed wacker, loppers, rake or shovel) will be used by you and you only.
- Volunteers are required to bring their own masks, gloves and water. There will be additional masks, gloves and plenty of water available.
In 2019, 9,713 volunteers from the city and surrounding suburbs helped us address 257 heavily blighted alleyways surrounding the Durfee Innovation Society, host a summer camp for 125 children and a basketball camp for 37 youth, and our Family Fun Day (with the largest bounce house in the world) drew in more than 3,000 Detroit kids and their families.
View Photos of the 2019 Project
In the past, Life Remodeled made only one year investments into neighborhoods. However, in 2017, we committed to investing three to five years per community as we move forward. We will remain focused exclusively on the Durfee/Central community until September 2021. After that, we will begin investing in another Detroit neighborhood, but we will continue to lead the Durfee Innovation Society indefinitely.